It's Just a Leap of Faith!
Your adventure starts with a briefing from our X-treme Instructor who will show you how to put on and use the equipment we provide – harness, caving helmet, headlamp, karabiner and abseil device.
You are led ¼ mile, past the admiring tourists in Gough's Cave to the Black Cat Chamber where you switch on your headlamp to get your first real glimpse of the abseil. The abseil itself is a truly unique experience, as a 25ft free hanging abseil through a hole in the roof of the chamber.
To begin, you will climb a fixed ladder, with safety line attached, to a natural tunnel/platform feature, where you will wait for your turn to abseil. Once ready, moving along an overhead safety line you will walk to the edge of the hole where our X-treme Instructor will attach you to the abseil line. From here it is just one leap of faith off the edge and you can begin your descent.
Certificate of Achievement
This is awarded to everyone who successfully completes the expedition.
Please telephone 01934 742 343 to check availability and book for adventure caving, abseiling and rock climbing. Payment by credit or debit card is required in advance (or at time of booking) to reserve places. This is non-refundable – although participants' names can be changed without penalty. A full refund is offered if rock climbing is cancelled due to bad weather.
|Time of year||Every day of the year - except Christmas Eve & Day|
|Start times||10.30am, 1pm and 3pm|
|No. of participants||Minimum 1, Maximum 10|
|Price||Adults: £16.00 per person|
|Child: £14.00 per person|
Need to know
- Minimum age: 11 years
- Minimum height: 4’8" (142 cm)
- Instructed / accompanied by experienced Cheddar Gorge X-treme leaders.
- We suggest you wear old clothes – a t-shirt and loose fitting trousers. You might get a bit muddy!
- Wear suitable shoes with good grip (for example trainers)
- All safety equipment provided.
- Youth groups, defined as "6 or more young persons under the age of 18 years", must be accompanied on the black cat abseil by an adult (normally a youth group leader, who takes part free of charge).
- AALA Reg No. L3210/R0238
- Prices valid until 31 December 2013
- Please see Safety Briefing
Find It Fast
Be InspiredClick images to enlarge More Photos
"The Cheddar Caves are awe inspiring, the Crystal Quest is funny and terrifying, the museums are weirder than weird and the cliff-top walk is breathtaking. A great day out for children and adults."
From 'Get out and About' The Daily Telegraph