Adventure Caving: It's Hard, It's Dirty, It's Fun!
Your adventure begins with a briefing by our X-treme Instructor who will show you how to put on and use the equipment we provide – caving helmet, lamp and battery pack, karabiner, boiler suit and Wellington (rubber) boots.
An ideal choice for your first caving expedition because of our unique safety features – fixed ladders, an underground telephone system, first aid supplies, spare torches and back-up staff are close by.
The caving route
You are led ¼ mile, past the admiring tourists in Gough's Cave to start your Level 2 multi-pitch caving expedition. You switch on your head lamp for the easy climb to the Mushroom Chamber, crawl into Sand Chamber, use a lifeline down a 40ft steel ladder into the Boulder Chamber, then climb up the Far Rift.
You emerge through April Fool's Squeeze, clip onto a wire traverse and crawl across The Bottomless Pit, then slip headfirst through The Letterbox, before returning to the Sand Chamber on your way out – muddy, but proud!
Certificate of Achievement
This is awarded to everyone who successfully completes the expedition.
Please telephone 01934 742 343 to check availability and book for adventure caving and rock climbing. Prepayment by credit or debit card is required to reserve places. This is non-refundable – although participants' names can be changed without penalty. A full refund is offered if rock climbing is cancelled due to bad weather.
|Time of Year||
Daily: 14th February - 22nd February
Saturdays and Sundays only: 28th February - 22nd March
Daily: 28th March - 31st August
|Start Times||10:30am, 1pm and 3pm daily|
|No of Participants||Minimum 1, Maximum 10|
|Price||Adults: £22.00 per person|
|Child: £20.00 per person|
|Groups||Available throughout year - Call 01934 742343 for availabilty|
Need to Know
- Minimum age: 11 years
- Minimum height: 4’8" (142 cm)
- Instructed / accompanied by experienced Cheddar Gorge X-treme leaders.
- We suggest you wear old clothes – a t-shirt and loose fitting trousers. You will get quite warm and a bit muddy!
- All safety equipment provided. For health & safety reasons all participants must be able to fit into appropriate safety equipment (Carabiner belts up to 40 inches). For guidance please call 01934 742343.
- Youth groups, defined as "6 or more young persons under the age of 18 years", must be accompanied on adventure caving by an adult (normally a youth group leader, who takes part free of charge).
- AALA Reg No. L3210/R0238
- Please see Safety Briefing
Gift Vouchers can be purchased in advance and the date/time left open for the recipient to book Adventure Caving or Rock Climbing at the time of their own choosing.
Find It Fast
Be InspiredClick images to enlarge More Photos »
"Your Adventure Caving guide Chris was excellent. We joined a party of Scouts who were very well behaved and added to our experience. We both came away having had a fantastic time. Would recommend to anyone. Thank you."
Paul & Sarah